How to Rid Dry Scalp
For those who want healthy, moisturized tresses!
Dry scalp is a scalp issue that can be remedied pretty quickly. Dry scalp consist of dry patches and a tightening on the scalp which will cause dandruff, mild itching may occur. Dry scalp comes from lack of moisture, in which simple acts to your hair care regimen can quickly rid it once and for all. Here are some simple steps you can take to get rid of dry scalp…
- Clean out product closet. If you suffer from dry scalp, more often than not, the problem will most likely be what you are putting in your hair. Here are a few ingredients that may be the culprit; sodium laurel / laureth sulfate (SLS), also known as sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, ammonium laurel sulfate, sodium dodecylsulfate, sulfuric acid, sodium salt sulfuric acid, Aquarex methyl, isopropyl alcohol (Used in antifreeze, wood finish and shellac, isopropyl alcohol is designed to dissolve oils, which can strip the hair of moisture), many hair gels use this. Proplyene glycol (PG) is another one that can possibly cause irritation. Also avoid products that have dyes, harsh fragrances (synthetic), formaldehyde (preservative), for all of these are drying to the scalp and hair. Other ingredients that will prevent moisture from getting in rather than making you lose moisture are as follows; Mineral oil (parrifidium liquidium) Petrolatum, and silicones.
- Replace the old products with new products that are natural as possible. Label reading is very important when you suffer from some kind of scalp irritation or issue. Due to our composition, we are nature, and nature thrives most from natural things. With keeping this in mind it is important to buy products that are more nature created than laboratory created. It is not just good for your hair but also your body. Nearly 60% of everything that is applied to the skin is absorbed. So be very cautious with what goes on your scalp.
- Create a moisture rich hair care regimen. Weekly regimen should include>>> Pre treat hair with an oil or specified pre poo. This will give you an extra moisture boost before washing. Wash with a mild shampoo (moisturizing shampoo, conditioning shampoo and no poo are all labels you should pay attention to). Always be sure to clarify hair once a month. This removes product build up. Too much product will also cause dryness. Always use a deep conditioner. Always use a good leave in conditioner. Massage oil into scalp at least 1-2 times a week. These steps will help with bringing back the proper moisture level on your scalp and hair.
- Take necessary precautions in the winter and hot summer months. The hot sun and the cold air can cause dryness, so always take necessary precautions. Make sure that hair is properly moisturized during these seasons. For more info on this follow our moisture regimen hacking course>>> http://www.everbutter.com/courses.html This gets into the details of things.
- Stay hydrated and eat your fruits and veggies. People rarely get enough water each day. Drinking coffee, tea and pop to replace water will keep you dehydrated. Your body is nearly 70% of your body, so it is very important to drink more water. Also water carries the nutrients to where they need to be in your body, your scalp. When you cannot get the necessary nutrients, your scalp/hair will show. Which brings me to eating whole foods. Whole foods are the only foods that can give your hair life, so try to cut back on processed and reach for the plate of veggies and fruit. ————-The average amount of water is said to be 8 cups a day, give or take. To know the give and take, take your body weight and divide it by 2. This will be the amount in ounces to drink.
These are just a few things you can do to help with the issue, there are more and if you feel like certain things work for you and other things don’t, then make adjustments.
Until next time!
Kummbareh Owens, Wife, Mother of 3, and CEO of EverButter LLC