Business Highlight with Miya Jones Photography
- What is your name and the name of your business?
Miya Jones with Miya Jones Photography
- Tell us about your company and what makes it unique?
My business is focused towards family and children portraiture. I have several years of child care experience that definitely makes my job a lot easier. Not only having patience, but being able to relate and understand children.
- What are some of your accomplishments and/or most memorable moments?
One of my most memorial moments I had as a photographer is when a new client completed a questionnaire and told me that her child would not smile for the camera. After about 5 minutes of shooting, she was the perfect little model.
- What advice would you give to aspiring photographers? What are some things you do to perfect your craft that you can share?
Stay true to yourself. Decide what you’re good at and what inspires you and go from there. Also, don’t be afraid to go outside the norm and try new things. As far as perfecting my craft, I am a huge fan of YouTube University (as my cousin calls it). I also sign up for any free webinars that other photographers have to offer. There is a wealth of information out there so I take advantage of whatever I can.
- I know a lot of photographers that have the equipment and the skill, but they don’t have any clients. How did you build your clientele? How do you keep clients?
Word of mouth has been the way my clientele has grown over the past couple of years. All of my new clients are referrals from friends and previous clients. As far as keeping them, I do my personal best to always create (meaningful) images they will cherish for a lifetime.
- What new projects do you have coming up or what are you currently working on?
I am looking to learn more about video so I can offer more services to my clients. I’m also working on personal projects to keep my creative energy charged.
- Any Last Words?
Thank you for taking the time out to talk to me! For anyone who has a passion or desire to do something, don’t give up. When the timing is right, everything will fall into place.
- Where can we find out more about Miya Jones Photography and all of your future endeavors?
Miyajones.net and also on Instagram at Miyaj_photog.
Written by: Shenise N. Foote-Vann
Founder and Editor-in-Chief for YP Empire, Shenise N. Foote-Vann, has a sincere passion for the empowerment and enrichment of her community. Mrs. Foote-Vann earned her bachelor’s degree in Communication and Journalism graduating from the Honors College of Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan. There she researched, The Effects of Hip Hop Culture on Black Women and the Black Culture.” Since, she’s written a plethora of cultural articles, led numerous discussions and workshops on Black America, and worked with several urban based community organizations. Mrs. Foote-Vann founded The AfrocentricX in 2016 as a means to educate, entertain, and empower Black America, more specifically, black women.